Saturday, November 20, 2010

Chapter 6: IS IT ????

The door burst open and Payal rushed inside and collapsed on the bed. Though a little unnerved at first, it took just one glance for Neha to understand what had happened with her best friend.

"God help me now." Payal said.

"Why are you bothering poor God? Let's see how we can help you. Let Him help the other praying people of the world." replied Neha.

"I don't know what came over me, Neha. Damn, it was all too sudden, I just could not get hold of myself or control myself from going with the flow."

"But you did enjoy it you naughty girl. Come out with the details, I'm waiting."

"It wasn't like I intended to smooch him or anything. Just that the evening was nice and I suggested that we go for a walk around the campus. It was raining slightly and then I asked him a question to which he just looked at me, not answering. Somehow, as if programmed my hand slid into his and it was a different world altogether. Nothing seemed to matter, and in a timeless fashion, it all happened. Totally out of control. What the hell was I thinking? I haven't even known him for a week yet and I went ahead and locked lips with him."

"Huh, so much for just a simple kiss. I thought you went all the way through. What's wrong with you girl?"

Payal threw a pillow at Neha's face which was deftly caught.

"So do you think he is head over heels in love with you?"

"It seems so. The way he looked into my eyes said all that his tongue could not."

"And what about you? Is this still a bet for you or....?"

"I think the bet is the last thing on my mind right now. I don't care what that haughty bitch thinks of me or herself. I need to unravel a mystery before I jump into this deep well, and for that I need your help."

"Always ready to do anything for you babes." said Neha. "Just spit it out."

"There is this girl Vidya from his batch and a particular Ravi. Both of them are supposedly Amit's best friends. I want to know more about them, Vidya in particular. Can you use your contacts in the college for me?"

"Sure shot. I'll let you know as soon as I get some information. Till then, I would love to hear some more description of your first kiss."

******************************************************************

"What do you expect me to explain Amit and how?" Vidya said in exasperation.

"Vidya, do you realise that this could break our friendship? All three of us are friends for heaven's sake. These things would destroy all those wonderful things all three of us have shared over the past years. And you know that I can't live without you both."

"Why would you bother with us now? Ravi is practically mum about everything and you now have other interests to look forward to."

"What do you mean?" asked Amit.

"I saw you Amit. I saw everything with my very own eyes. I was right near the SMS building when it all happened."

"You were following me?"

"No, I just wanted to know what you were up to."

"Is there any difference? Vidya, what's wrong with you? Why are you bent on breaking our friendship?"

"When did I ever say anything about breaking our friendship? You are the one suggesting that we break it. I just wanted to take it to the next level, thats all."

"So did Ravi. I am just saying that you forget all that has happened and we can be as we were a few days back."

"Do you really think that now things are going to be 'normal' ? Or have you been brainwashed by that muse of yours."

"She has got a name, and don't bring her into this debate unnecessarily."

"I am not bringing her into the debate, she is coming herself." Vidya said, pointing behind him.

Amit turned around to see Payal approaching them from a distance.

"Now Mr. Romeo would have to tend to his Juliet. Vidya'd better leave." said Vidya and got up to leave.

"Vidya, please sit down now. She isn't bad at all. I want you to meet her. Can't you just give her a chance?"

"Sorry, but I have better things to do. And another thing. I hope you realise that I can NEVER be with you when there is another person other than Ravi around. I don't like it, and neither should you. I hope you realise your priorities soon. You are totally messed up Amit."

Saying this Vidya disappeared from the cafe. Soon enough Payal entered and sat opposite Amit.

"What were you up to just now?" she asked.

"Forget it, after the conversation with Vidya I'm not really in a mood to discuss anything." he replied.

"Oh, she was here? Where did she go? I would have loved to meet her."

"Well, I told her the same thing. But she wouldn't listen and left seconds before you arrived."

"Wow, she must be pretty fast as I didn't see her leave."

Just then, Payal's phone rang. It was Neha on the other end.

"Hi Neha. Any news for me?" Payal asked her.

"Yes, and the news isn't so good." Neha said on the other end.

"What is it?" Payal asked and got up and moved away from Amit, lest he found anything suspicious.

"I asked around a lot, practically everybody that I know among our batch and our seniors. And everybody had the same reply."

"And what was that reply?"

"Payal, there is nobody called Vidya or Ravi here. Forget Amit's batch. There is no Vidya or Ravi in the entire institute."

************************************************************

6 comments:

  1. A Beautiful Mind :)
    Great twist... This was the last thing I expected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx Mitesh. Yeah, somewhat inspired by A Beautiful Mind.... :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg!!! what just happened?!! is the guy a freaking schizophreniac...n all this sudden female attention is a figment of his own imagination?!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What d heck...
    u bttr come soon wid ur nxt post...
    i don like waiting :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Sonam: Let your imagination run wild. That's exactly my motive.. :)
    @BigB n TK: Thanks guys
    @Vishal: The fruits of patience r always sweet. Hopefully the next post cuming soon... :D

    ReplyDelete